By Emily Rice, Social Media Manager
Have you noticed the semi-new feature on Instagram called Reels? Reels a blend of Instagram Stories and IGTV, short videos up to 30 seconds long – basically, Instagram’s version of TikTok. In this post, I’ll show you how to create Reels and how to incorporate them into your real estate business.
What Are Reels and How Do I Create Them?
Reels are short videos that are usually choreographed with music and on-screen text. The ultimate goal of using Reels is to grab eyeballs to grow your Instagram community. You’re able to create Reels from the Instagram app directly, so it is super convenient for people on the go. Reels should be casual and fun compared to formal IGTV videos.
Let’s walk through some easy steps to create a Reel:
- Open your Instagram app and go to your profile page.
- Click the “+” sign in the top right corner and then click “Reel.” At this point, you’ll be staring at your face on the screen.
- On the left of the screen, you will see different editing tools
- Length – You’re able to set the length of your Reels. You’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown and then the video will start. You have the option to post a 15 or 30-second video.
- Audio – Here you’re able to add music to your video. Instagram has several options in their library, or you can use your own recording.
- Speed – You’re able to slow it down or speed it up.
- Effects – There are so many effects options! Didn’t have time to put on make-up? There’s an effect for that. Want to change your eye color? There’s an effect for that too.
- Touch Up – This allows you to slightly touch up your appearance.
- Timer – Displays the time of the video at the top of the screen.
- Align – Line up the frame from your previous video clip with your current clip. This makes the transitions seamless.
- To record the video, click the record button in the bottom center of the screen.
- Once you’ve created your video, you can click on the left arrow to edit your video. Click on the right to move forward with posting the video. Once you click the right arrow, you’ll see your final video and at the bottom, you will see a “Share To” option.
- On the Share screen, you have the option to add a caption to the video.
- Your final step is to click “Share”. You’ve now completed your first Reel!
Now that you know how to create a Reel, let’s go over how to leverage it in your real estate business. You’re probably asking yourself, “But what do I post?” Here are a few options for you.
- New Listing Trailer – If you have a new property about to come on the market, Reels is a great place to do a teaser of the property. Maybe show off some of the house’s interesting features, like the updated bathroom or beautiful pool area. Make sure that you don’t show off the whole house. This is to just generate advance buzz around the new property.
- Real Estate Behind the Scenes – Your schedule is busy and unpredictable. Document that in Reels! We all like seeing behind the proverbial curtain, and it’s great to show clients that you’re willing to do pretty much anything for me.
- Educational Snippets – Reels is a great place to educate your clients on the buying/selling process. You might even think about posting a question in your stories asking, “what are your real estate questions” and cover those responses in Reels.
- Real Estate Humor – Everyone loves some real estate humor and Reels is a great place to showcase your funny bone. For example, you could do a funny before and after video of the beginning of your day where you’re put together and at the end of the day, you look completely disheveled.
- Neighborhood Profile – If you’re an agent that markets in a particular neighborhood, a good idea is to do little neighborhood profiles. You could focus on restaurants, entertainment in the area, or outdoor activities.
Now you know how to create a Reel and you have some content ideas – now get out there and start creating! If you’re looking for more knowledge on using Instagram, we have an amazing Education Team that is available for you. Reach out to your Independence Title Business Development Rep for more information.